Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm headed to...Louisville!

Oh, I am SO excited to be headed to Louisville for my externship!picture by Trish Biddle



It was my first choice, and it's only about 45 minutes from Mr's hometown!  He'll actually be in his hometown doing an away rotation there, so I'll be able to commute most days & maybe stay with friends in Louisville for other days!  It's a four week program, so I'm beyond ecstatic to be in a city that I know and love!!!

If you haven't been to Louisville, Kentucky...you've GOT to visit!  
Of course, there's the Kentucky Derby, the Louisville Slugger Museum, the University of Louisville, 21c Museum Hotel, and so many amazing shops and restaurants!  Since I have spent some time in the city, I have a few favorites to share with you!

Here are my top five favorite restaurants in Louisville:

  1. Seviche-an amazing restaurant on Bardstown Road.  They (obviously) have seviche, and it is amazing!  It's the perfect place for dinner on the patio with friends during the summer.  Fresh, flavorful, different!
  2. North End Cafe-the best biscuits & gravy. Period.  It's insane.  Mr brought me a plate of them for my birthday once, and they were even yummy reheated in the oven.  Blessed Lord, I'm tempted to drive over there and order a serving right now.
  3. L&N Wine Bar and Bistro-such a great atmosphere.  And, I've had shrimp and grits there that'll make you cry.  Don't even talk to me about their fried green tomatoes.
  4. Shiraz-mediterranean food that is always so fresh and light.  It's never too heavy, but I'm always satisfied.  Try their "Joojeh kabob."  Fun to say, and even more fun to eat! Also, they are probably some of the friendliest staff around.
  5. Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen-the name says it all.  If you're feeling indulgent, try the Dutch Apple with Caramel pie or the Pecan Chocolate Chip.  I'm not even a huge pie person, but these are unmatched.

My top five favorite things to do in Louisville:
  1. Trolley Hop-this is so much fun, and it comes around the first friday of every month!  It was actually Mr & my first date in Louisville!  You catch the trolleys that run downtown between the art galleries.  I'm sure some of your cities do something similar.  Cocktails, wine & hors d'oeuvres top it off!
  2. The races-Horse races, that is!  Churchill Downs is so beautiful and always exciting.  I love walking around the paddock and picking my lucky filly!  This is perfect for a day with family, friends, or just you & your sweetie!
  3. Kentucky Derby Festival-the Festival includes all the lead up events for the Derby!  Some of the events are: Thunder over Louisville (the largest annual fireworks display in North America), The Fillies Derby Ball, the Great Balloon Race, Chow Wagon (tons of carnival-style food at the Waterfront)...
  4. Shop-really there are dozens of cute boutiques and three malls that have great shops too.  Some of my favs include:  Croquis Boutique, Two Chicks, Clodhoppers...
  5. Get pampered-at Z Salon and Spa to be precise.  They have such a relaxing, luxurious atmosphere.  I've had hair cuts, massages, and make up done here. It's always perfect.  Not like some places where you think, "Well...once I get home and style it myself, it'll be fine!"
It'll be a really fun month!  Thank you all for your well-wishes!  I was so nervous, and now I am truly so relieved!  Louisville-here I come!

7 comments:

Kayce said...

So glad you got a location that you love! I've never been but you're making me really want to go now! = )

*One Step at a Time* said...

Thank you for your sweet comment!! I haven't been to Louisville specifically but my cousins live in a small town in Kentucky and i've been there to visit! I've also been to Nashville and if Louisville is anything like Nashville, I am definitely in love!! Congrats on getting your first choice externship! That's an awesome accomplishment :)

Jill said...

I've always wanted to visit Kentucky! Someday!

Carly A. Heitlinger said...

Congratulations! That sounds like an amazing opportunity in a great location!

PoshMomma said...

Congrats!! Isn't it the best feeling when the stars align in your favor? Time to celebrate!!! *pops the champagne*

MM said...

How awesome! I am so happy for you! Louisville sounds like an awesome city!

Anonymous said...

i have never been there but my grandpa loves passing through there when he's driving to visit. he always talks about all the character and charm. it sounds like such a qaint place. have fun!!!