Saturday, May 2, 2009

135th Kentucky Derby

Little Miss and my sorority little sister ML at the Derby last year!
(I got all these pictures from the Kentucky Derby website!  check them out here)

Well, my filly didn't win Oaks yesterday...but let's see if I can pick the big winner for the Run for the Roses!  Last year, we went to a Derby party at a friend's place.  We did the ole pick a name out of the cup approach, and I luckily picked Big Brown!  It's fun because everybody has a horse to cheer for, and that just makes things even more exciting!  This year, we're also going to a derby party in Louisville.  As far as picking the winning horse, I'm torn! If I were simply choosing based on names, I'd have to pick Chocolate Candy!  Seriously, I think every girl is going to bet on him.  
Wouldn't it be so cute if he won?  Now, if I were to choose based on jockeys...I love Robby Albarado and Garrett Gomez.  I was pretty lucky during Keeneland whenever I bet on Garrett Gomez' horse, and I may just stick with that!  So...that brings me to Pioneer of the Nile.
I'm crossing my fingers!

Now...in honor of the day, here are some of my favorite things about Derby!

Hats!

Julep cups

Beautiful horses

My Old Kentucky Home
(Every single time Mr's grandmother hears it, she cries!)


Sun dresses

Those exciting 2 minutes!

And, just the Pageantry of it all!

...Have a wonderful Derby Day wherever you may be!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Kentucky Derby always seems sooo fun, I hope to some day go!

Meg said...

What FUN! I have never been, but there is always next year! Of course you can always have Derby parties at home when you can't attend in person too!

Loved the pictures! You look beautiful!

PoshMomma said...

I picked Chocolate Candy! (Based on name alone!!) So girlie! What a race, I had chills!!!!

BLC :o said...

Oh what fun!? Loving the pictures. Xoxo-BLC

Darci White said...

We decided this year that we really, really want to go to the Kentucky Derby next year.

My hubby brought it up (and even mentioned that he thought I would look so cute in a big hat....ahhhh! so sweet!) and we're going to try and make it happen!

Such a fun event - I love the class of all of it!