Sunday, October 4, 2009

mmm...Cabana!


Mr & I had such a wonderful time in Nashville!
It felt like dating again...you know, picking out a cute outfit for the night, reservations at a fun new restaurant, the excited little feeling before seeing each other...I'll stop the sappy-business now! ;)

Well, I told you that I'd give you the scoop on the restaurant we picked for dinner.  I checked out their menu online, and I saw these tantalizing items:  Sweet Tea Smoked Half Chicken, Mini Sweet Potato Biscuits, BBQ Pork Wontons (with a sorghum jalapeno corn cream), and Kentucky Bison Short Ribs with Gnocchi.  Um, yes.  Reservations for two, please.

  When we arrived, there was a crowd outside waiting for tables, and people kind of spilling out of the patio.  I took this as a good sign!  Luckily, we had reservations or else we would have been waiting for a long time.  They quickly brought us to our table, and we sat in the room pictured above (I found the picture on their website.)  I was excited that they opened a couple of those garage style windows.  It was gorgeous, and the breeze was perfect!
*now for the "review" part of this post!*
For our meals, we started with the Tennessee "Sliders" which were the Mini Sweet Potato Biscuits with buttermilk fried chicken and peach preserves.  They were amazing, but you only get three; therefore, Mr & I diplomatically split the third...and then scrounged for the little sweet potato tangles that were sprinkled on top!  I'm glad we got an appetizer, because it took a while for our entrees...but it was worth the wait!  We both got the daily specials.  I can't remember the names of the meals, but mine was Sea Bass over a lobster risotto with asparagus, and Mr's was an amazing Pork Shank over scalloped sweet potato and green beans.  We thought we were too full for dessert, so we headed out to see more of that area.

Cabana is located right by Vanderbilt's campus, and there were a slew of cute restaurants, boutiques, and little coffee shops!  I'd love to go back in the day to shop.  Well, after exploring a bit, it turns out we did have room for dessert!  Ben & Jerry's was conveniently located down the street, so we split a scoop of their "Chocolate Therapy."

The next day, we had breakfast at Apple Barn and stopped in Opry Mills Mall!
Best of all, we just got to be together...and I'm back on my count down until we get to hang out again!  Memphis, here I come!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad y'all got to go and enjoy music city--and each other! I am soooo hungry now..that menu sounds delish!! What did you think of Opry Mills? Hope you have a great week = )

Posh Peach said...

The restaurant sounds amazing! So glad you had a wonderful time.

Ashley said...

Sounds like you guys had an amazing time, and the food sounds yummy !!

Ams said...

Ok, that sounds divine!
I love a night out to somewhere new and trendy :)
Even nicer that you two got to spend some time together. I am battling the long distance relationship so I feel your pain!

Kate said...

Awww love Nashville, love Cabana! I grew up there and lived so close that I had to pass that restuarant on a daily basis. So fun, isn't it?? And, I agree, those sliders are delicious!

A New England Girl said...

It sounds like a wonderful date night- what a great way to pass the time inbetween seeing one another! :) The restaurant sounds delish- I'll have to remember it if I'm ever in the Nashville area! :)

Ruby said...

Just came across your blog...i love it!!

very married said...

looks like you had a great time!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

This restaurant looks fun! And yummm...the food sounds awesome!

Blessings!
Love your mama!

love that you were able to see Mr. (since I am not a long distance driver...and actually, would rather have someone else be the driver, even on short distances...I never was brave to drive for a rendevous with dad! He was always the one to drive home to us, when he was away in the Army :o)